IxDA Mentorship Program
IxDA Sydney is proud to have successfully run the mentoring program since 2012 to provide the opportunities for interaction design/UX design students or graduates and new designers to learn from the professionals in the industry.
The program runs in 2 terms each year: Autumn (March – June), and Spring (August – November).
Please make sure that you join our IxDA Sydney mailing list so you can receive the latest updates on when the program starts.
Who is it for?
The program is open to all IxDA members, who express their interest to become a mentor or seeking to be mentored.
What do I need to get involved?
- Your passion and enthusiasm to learn
- You time commitments. We highly recommend that you’re allocate at least an hour a fortnight to catch-up with your mentor/mentee
- Be a mentor! Mentors are always high in demands. This is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to enhance their skills and develop the leadership skills by mentoring others with less experience.
How does it work?
- Before each term, the mentoring team will send out an invitation seeking your interest and involvements to be a mentor or a mentee in a form of survey questionnaires. If you’re interested to be a mentor or a mentee, please fill in the survey by the due date.
- The mentoring team will read and analyse each responses to find a match between a mentee to suitable mentors based on the skills, learning objectives and needs.
- The mentoring team will then contact all participants if they are successful or not. The number of successful matches would be highly determined by the number of mentors availability. So, we are always in need for mentors!
- The successful matches applicants will be contacted directly to introduce the mentors and mentee with their contact numbers and how to get started
- Once the session starts, the mentor and mentee can start to schedule the first meeting. We recommend that you do this within the 1st couple of weeks after you received the email from us.
- The mentoring team will contact you to check in that everything went smoothly as it should. We are here to support you to make sure that you have everything you need to get started.
Being a mentor
Being a mentor is a great way to enhance your skills by teaching other less experience than yours, learn new skills, practice your leadership skils and spread your network in the industry.
Your role as a mentor is to:
- Help your mentee to identify their strengths and capitalise on them
- Help your mentee to clarify their goals
- Motivate and inspire
- Broaden perspectives and ways of thinking
- Support your mentee in achieving their goals
- You don’t have to feel like you need a massive amount of experience to mentor someone. A student or graduates can learn a lot from someone who might only be industry for 1-2 years.
We provide a set of guidelines to help you get started to be a mentor.
Being a mentee
Mentorship is a great way to accelerate your skills by receiving guidance from professionals in the industry.
As a mentee, you are expected to:
- Work with your mentor in achieving your goals
- Participate and commit to do your best in the program
- Respect the time and commitment that your mentor has provided
- We provide a set of guidelines for mentee.
We have collected some tools and resources that you might find useful in your mentoring session. Feel free to use this as you see appropriate.
If you would like to add/share your resources to this list, please contact the mentoring team at email@example.com
Use the following guidelines to help you get started. Use this as a guideline not a rule!
- How to find a UX Mentor – UX Beginner
- UX expert Caroline Jones on how mentor others and why you should mentor non-creatives too – Digital Arts
- A Case for Mentorship – Scott Baldwin, UX Magazine
- The value of Modern-Day Mentorship – Ximena Vengoechea, UX Booth
Join the LinkedIn Group
We created a private LinkedIn Group for the Mentors and Mentees so you can ask questions, discuss, and share resources.
To join the LinkedIn Group, go to: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12052718
The current IxDA Sydney mentoring team are:
- Verawaty Chan
- Ron Lui
- Mary Nolan
- Susan Wolfe
- Kevin Chan
We are here to support you!
Feel free to contact us on: firstname.lastname@example.org