IxDA Sydney Mentoring Programme
IxDA Sydney is proud to have successfully run the mentoring programme since 2012 to provide opportunities for interaction design/UX designers of all levels to learn from more experienced professionals in the industry.
The programme runs twice a year:
- Term 1 (March – May): One-on-one match
- One-to-one pair matching of mentors with mentees
- Applications for 2022 Term 1 will open late Jan 2022
- Term 2 (September – Mid December): one-on-one match or group mentoring*
Please make sure that you join our IxDA Sydney mailing list so you can receive the latest updates on the program.
*Session type might change depending on availability.
Who is it for?
The program is open to all IxDA Sydney members, who express interest in becoming a mentor or to be mentored through the application forms, notified through the mailing list and social media.
How do I apply?
What do I need to get involved?
- Your passion and enthusiasm to learn
- Your time commitment. We highly recommend that you allocate at least an hour a fortnight to catch-up with your mentor/mentee
- Be a mentor! Mentors are always high in demand. This is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to enhance their skills and develop their leadership skills by mentoring others with less experience.
How does it work?
- Before each term, the mentoring team will send out an invitation to express your interest in becoming a mentor / mentee as a survey. You must complete the survey by the due date.
- The mentoring team will read and analyse each response to find a match between a mentee and a suitable mentor for a “One on one” match, or assign them to an appropriate “Mentoring Circle Group” based on their skills, learning objectives and needs.
- The mentoring team will then contact all participants to let them know if they have been matched or not. For a “One on one” Term the number of successful matches is highly determined by the availability of mentors. We are always in need of more mentors!
- The successfully matched applicants will be contacted directly to introduce the mentors and mentee with contact details and guides on how to start.
- Once the Term starts, the mentor and mentee should schedule their first meeting. We recommend you do this within the first two weeks after you receive the email.
- The mentoring team will contact you to check in that everything went smoothly as it should and at regular intervals during the term. We are here to support you to make sure you have everything you need to get started.
Being a mentor
Being a mentor is a great way to enhance your skills by teaching other less experience than yours, learn new skills, practice your leadership skills and spread your network in the industry.
Your role as a mentor is to:
- Help your mentee identify their strengths and capitalise on them
- Help your mentee clarify their goals
- Motivate and inspire
- Broaden perspectives and ways of thinking
- Support your mentee to achieve their goals
- You don’t need a massive amount of experience to mentor someone. A student or graduate can learn a lot from someone even with 1-2 years’ industry experience.
We provide a set of guidelines to help you be a good mentor.
Being a mentee
Mentorship is a great way to accelerate your skills by receiving guidance from professionals in the industry.
As a mentee, you are expected to:
- Work with your mentor to define and achieve your goals
- Participate and commit to do your best in the program
- Respect the time and commitment that your mentor has provided
We provide a set of guidelines for mentees.
New – podcast launching Feb 2022
As part of the 2022 IXDA mentoring program we will be launching a podcast at the same time to support mentoring conversations from a diverse group of design thinkers and doers around Australia/Sydney. These conversations aspire to spark new perspectives, problem solving and insight into other design teams.
Molly, Sam and Vinita have interviewed a handful already and will be adding to them over the year. These will be available soon, both in your usual Podcast-subscribing services as well as through the IxDASyd website.
The current IxDA Sydney mentoring team are:
- Sam Hancock
- Molly Lewis
- Vinita Israni
We are here to support you! Feel free to contact us at: email@example.com