Historically, design practices have focused on process, methods, and craft. But this limits design’s potential—design leaders can provide more value to their organizations by implementing robust DesignOps. In Design Operations Essentials, Dave Malouf will introduce participants to the three lenses of DesignOps, and how each one helps an organization increase the value it gets from its design practice. Participants will learn frameworks from strategic thinking and service design so they can start developing their own operational models for their design practices.
Who this is for
If you are in the early stages of implementing design operations practice in your organizations, this workshop will teach you both a broad and flexible definition of design operations as well as tangible activities for how to start.
What you’ll learn
- How to create a plan and execute DesignOps for managing teams—from recruitment through promotion and even off-boarding
- How to develop assessment criteria to evaluate and select current software for supporting design operations
- How to develop methods for optimizing workflows
- How to integrate DesignOps roles and responsibilities into the wider design organization.
Section 1: What is Design Operations and Why Now?
- Framing Design Operations as a support structure for Design Practice
- Forces that are pushing DesignOps to gain attention now
- The Three Lenses of Design Operations
Section 2: Getting to Your Design Value Proposition
- How Design adds value to an organization
- How you want to be valued by the rest of your organization
- Understanding how your organization currently values your design contributions
Section 3: Finding Your Design Operations Breakdowns
- Introduction to the DesignOps Canvas
- Using the DesignOps Canvas to evaluate your current operations
Section 4: Building a New Vision for Your Design Operations
- Using the DesignOps Canvas to imagine a new Design Operations practice
- Using a Service Blueprint to push the details of that practice forward
About Dave Malouf
Dave is a writer, teacher, and facilitator helping to teach designers how to build strategic, visionary, empathetic, and creative organizations.
Dave Malouf is passionate about how technology can help people connect to each other and help them achieve their personal and organizational goals. As a veteran design leader, strategist, facilitator, researcher, and educator he has worked with some of the largest and fastest growing organizations globally. He is taking that experience and passion and helping organizations amplify the value they get from their investment in design. Dave is a writer, teacher, and facilitator sought after around the globe for speaking and workshop engagements helping to teach designers how to build strategic, visionary, empathetic, and creative organizations.
Brought to you by IxDA Sydney and Enterprise UX Sydney